Residence FAQ



Will I have to share a room?

Most rooms at the residence are single rooms. However there are still double rooms that need to be filled. Preferences should be indicated on your residence profile form (distributed after April 1, 2019).
Double rooms are only shared with students of the same gender. All washrooms are single sex, or single user.

Back to Residence FAQ

What happens if I get lost?

All students will be provided with an emergency contact card which they should keep with them at all times. This card lists the residence on-call phone, the Engineering Outreach Office, and Campus Police.

Back to Residence FAQ

Am I allowed to go off-campus for lunch?

Lunch at a dining hall near the Engineering Complex is included for all residence students. Students are free for lunch from 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm. Any missed meals will not be reimbursed and students will have to make their own arrangements.

Back to Residence FAQ

What kind of residence supervision exists?

The residence staff is comprised of 21 live-in members. There are Dons, Senior Dons, two Assistant Residence Life Coordinators and one Residence Life Coordinator present during the week to oversee the residence program.

Back to Residence FAQ

Is living in residence safe?

Yes. Community safety is the shared commitment and responsibility of all staff and students at the residence. The following systems are in place to keep the building as safe as possible:

Keys – A key is required to open the door to the building, the door to each wing, and your residence room door. Only residence students and staff can enter the wings due to security reasons.

Security Staff – Security staff are on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and service a porter’s desk. They patrol the outside of the building and attend to emergencies.

Back to Residence FAQ

How do I get my meals?

Breakfast and dinner are included in the residence fees. Meals take place in the dining hall. Breakfast takes place from 7:30 am to 9 am, weekday lunch is served from 12:00 pm to 12:45 pm, and dinner is served daily from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm. These times may be modified from time-to-time in order to accommodate special events. Students are responsible for purchasing their own lunch.

Students are responsible for getting to meals on time. Any missed meals will not be reimbursed and students will have to make their own arrangements.

Back to Residence FAQ

What precautions will be taken if I have food allergies?

All students are required to fill out a residence profile form detailing any special needs including dietary concerns before they arrive in residence. However, parents of students with severe food allergies should be aware that we cannot guarantee access to an environment free of allergens. Therefore, it is a personal decision whether to participate in the residence option.

Back to Residence FAQ

If I follow a special diet, can this be accommodated in residence?

The Dining Hall offers many meal options, including Kosher, Vegetarian and Halal. Students should clearly indicate any important dietary considerations in the residence profile form.

Back to Residence FAQ

Will I be allowed to leave the residence without supervision?

Activities are scheduled from approximately 6 pm to 9 pm to meet the interests of all our residents and will be encouraging participation in scheduled events. Students are permitted to sign-out with at least one other student after dinner (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday) and on Sundays. All students must return and be signed back in by 9:00pm. Students must inform residence dons of their departure and sign-in when they return.  A record of outside activities is kept in a sign out book so that dons know exactly where every resident is at any given time.

Back to Residence FAQ

Can I visit a relative or friend who lives in Toronto?

Yes. However we have rules surrounding these visits to ensure your safety. We must receive permission by either email or fax from the student’s guardian for this visit. The relative or friend must come to the residence with identification to pick up the student and meet their Don.

Back to Residence FAQ

Can I bring friends to participate in residence activities?

No. Only students enrolled in the residence program are permitted to take part in residence activities. There are no guests allowed inside the residence.

Back to Residence FAQ

Are the residence staff trained to handle medical emergencies?

All of our dons have experience working with youth and take part in mandatory training. This includes a Standard First Aid and CPR-C training course. All students are required to fill out a residence profile form detailing any unique needs before they arrive at the residence. Senior residence staff review these forms to gain additional understanding of each student to handle unique situations.

Back to Residence FAQ

What happens if I feel unwell?

DEEP Residence Staff are not registered health professionals. As such, they will not dispense medication without the written authorization of the student’s legal parent/guardian. This optional form provides information about the Over-the-Counter (OTC) medications that are stocked in

Back to Residence FAQ

What happens to students coming from outside of Ontario in terms of medical assistance?

In Ontario we practice reciprocal billing for all Canadian provinces and territories. This means we will treat you and then send the bill to your home province. No payment is required by the student directly.

Back to Residence FAQ

What happens if I am coming from outside of Canada in terms of medical assistance?

Students who reside outside Canada (including Canadian citizens) must purchase travel health insurance prior to arriving in Canada. You can make arrangements in your home country through your own health insurance provider or contact the Engineering Outreach Office for help.

Back to Residence FAQ

What do I do if I am coming from outside of Canada require to pass through customs?

Most DEEP students need a visitor visa OR an Electronic Travel Authorization to travel to Canada – not both. Some people may only need their valid passport. Visit the Immigration Canada website to find out what document you need to travel to Canada. You should specify that you are coming to a summer camp and not a university academic program (credit courses may require a student visa).

Children under the age of 18 are considered minors in Canada. Minors who try to enter Canada without the proper documents, or without their parents or legal guardian(s), will be checked more closely. Learn more about the documents a minor child needs to enter Canada by visiting the Immigration Canada website.

Back to Residence FAQ

What if I don’t have an adult living in Canada who will be looking after me?

The Engineering Outreach Office can provide, for a fee to cover costs, an official Custodianship Declaration. The staff member designated on the form will undertake full custodianship for the child during their stay in at DEEP.

Please request the Custodianship Declaration when completing your Residence Profile Form.

Back to Residence FAQ

Are there any costs not included in the residence fee?

There will be some activities that are not covered by the residence fee. These include daily lunches, optional weeknight cultural events and optional weekend trips. These special activities and trips are fully optional. Living in residence does not require participation in any activity with an additional costs. Additional information will be included in the pre-program package.

Transportation to and from the residence at the beginning and end of the week is also the responsibility of the student.

Custodianship Declaration completed by the Engineering Outreach Office is not included in the residence fee.

Back to Residence FAQ

If I speak English as a second language, will there be any communication problems?

Many of our residence staff speak multiple languages. It is however important to realize that our programs are not a language instruction program. Students are expected to be able to communicate and learn in English.

Back to Residence FAQ

What happens if I misbehave in residence? Will I be sent home?

To ensure student safety, all students sign a Student Code of Conduct before they arrive in residence. If any major offence takes place, the student may be expelled from the program and the cost of their return home will be the sole responsibility of the student and/or parent/guardian. We will contact parents of the student to make suitable arrangements for the return home. Minor offences will be handled directly between residence staff and students. We reserve the right to remove students from the program.

Back to Residence FAQ

What happens if my parents/guardians will be away while I am attending the program?

We must be provided with a contact number to reach a parent or guardian in case of emergency. For parents who will not be available while their children are attending our programs, please ensure a guardian is appointed and that we have their contact information in the case of emergency.

Back to Residence FAQ

Can my parents or guardians send letters by post or care package?

Definitely! They can mail packages and letters to:

Student’s Name – DEEP Summer Academy
Engineering Outreach Office
35 St. George Street
Galbraith Building, Room 173
Toronto, ON
M5S 1A4

Back to Residence FAQ

Do you provide an airport greeting or pickup service?

We will have an optional greeting service at the airport to assist in coordinating ground transportation for our students upon arrival. If you opt for this service, staff will meet you at Domestic or International Arrivals at the airport. Please indicate this in your residence profile form.

Back to Residence FAQ

©2020 Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering